Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week Nine: Space Opera

This week's topic was space opera. I read a short story called "The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke. I've always found interest in our infinite space and all the planets and stars that wander all around us. I'm a firm believer that we are not alone in this massive galaxy, not even accounting for all the other galaxies. I particularly enjoyed this piece because it's basically about what we're been trying to do all along, and that's to find life outside of earth. In this short story, we discover that a group of space explorers travel to a distant star to find remnants of an advanced civilization that has been destroyed when its sun went supernova. This planet was highly advanced so they predicted when their demise would occur. They built a vault that was placed far enough so it would not get destroyed by the supernova, and in this vault contained complete records of their history, philosophy, achievements, and culture, hoping that someday it would be found and their existence was not for nothing. Stories like this could potentially be true, and this feeds my interest in the universe. I think it would be wrong to think we are the only ones in this universe, and I hope someday we will find life else where.

No comments:

Post a Comment