Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week 4: The New Weird

This week I read "The Art of Dying" by K.D Bishop. While reading this short story, I was conflicted because of the lack of information I was given because it was a short story. The author drops you down where ever they want and give you the information that they think is enough for you to figure out the rest. Death and suspense was definitely present in the story because it took place at not only a graveyard, but dark settings that added to the main characters personalities. The three main characters, Mona, Vali, and Gwynn, are famous but it wasn't clear to me for what. Apparently they were portrayed as hero's to the people with dolls made to look like them, and children looking up to them. However, later in the story a reporter follows them to the graveyard and ends up getting shot and killed by Gywnn. This made me question whether or not they were hero's. Overall,  I was confused by what was really going on, especially with Mona. Was the monster within herself or her thoughts? Or was she really sick and thought death was her best option? At the end of it she ends up taking her meds and gets better. It made me think that maybe their job caused them to act and see the world like they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment