Thursday, April 14, 2016

Week 13: The Aquatic Uncle

In the short story "The Aquatic Uncle", the main character's are used as a prominent symbol for modern themes such as prejudice and the differences between generations. It suggested that even from the beginning of time, racism and pride in ones upbringing was a major factor and played into how you were viewed. Qfwfq was essentially embarrassed because of Lll's purity and the fact that he was part of both land and sea. Not only this, but scientific progress is also a major theme in this short story.

The connections I made with this story is that everyone always has that one family member that they are afraid of introducing their significant other to. For example, I have grandparents that are always last to meet a boyfriend of mine simply because of their standards and what they think. Different generations play a significant role in this short story as does it in real life. Then again there are those grandparents that have all the new, modern technology and then there are those grandparents like mine that still have flip phones. I think this stems from the fact that change is feared. What they see as safe and reliable throughout all these years is what they stick to instead of trying something new.

I'm having trouble seeing this in another medium because it's a short story and I can't really imagine it as anything else. What I love about this story is the theme of evolution. I'm sure this can be turned into a movie with human actors, however I think it'll take away from the story and how the readers visualize it. The best way I would say it an animated piece, because given the right style and approach it could definitely compliment the story's creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment